Period pain is so common but that doesn’t mean it’s normal.Don’t let it be your monthly reality. You don’t need to suffer. Simple dietary and nutritional supplements can make a world of difference.
How to treat period pain
- Evening primrose oil works on reduces inflammation by lowering prostaglandin levels. The higher your prostaglandin level the more severe your period pain will be.
- Magnesium also works to reduces prostaglandin levels but it also soothes and relaxes uterine tissue
- VitaminB6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate) is a potent anti-inflammatory agent working to reduce inflammation
- Add turmeric (curcumin) into your daily diet to reduce prostaglandins and histamine. Turmeric can also lighten periods.
- PEA is our bodies natural pain substance and is well recognised for its anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. Aim for 300mg twice daily.
- Consume an anti-inflammatory diet because prostaglandin release is what triggers the pain we feel, prostaglandins are inflammatory markers. If you eat a diet high in junky, inflammatory foods, it’s just like throwing fuel on the fire. By eating a nutrient rich diet you’ll help fan the flames and lower prostaglandin levels and thus reduce your period pain.
Give yourself 2-3 months to see the above improvements help to relieve your period pain. If your pain doesn’t improve, ask your doctor to investigate endometriosis.
Megan Haralampou — The Biomedical Naturopath
Naturopath & Women’s Health Expert